The Humane Society of Greater Dayton is currently looking for a full-time Veterinary Technician. This position ensures and maintains the proper, necessary and appropriate care of pre-surgical, surgical and post-surgical animals in the ownership or custody of the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. Functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Works closely with the Shelter Manager and the Animal Care Technicians to ensure the physical and mental health of Humane Society animals.
- Assists veterinarians with spay/neuter surgeries (animal preparation, clinic preparation, etc.) and oversees proper utilization of clinic.
- Orders necessary surgical supplies (i.e. pharmaceuticals, surgical, etc.).
- Maintains a high standard of overall animal care.
- Assesses animals for surgery and possible placement.
- Performs euthanasia when required and disposal of animals in proper manner.
- Maintains proper identification on animals during veterinary interactions.
- Keeps surgical suite area clean and tidy.
- Schedules veterinarians for animal spay/neuter surgery appointments and (in-house, foster, neighborhood, etc.). outside veterinary appointments for sick/injured animals as needed.
- Maintains inventory for drugs and supplies as related to the veterinary clinic.
- Works closely with the Shelter Manager to implement client, staff or volunteer training classes (e.g. puppy training classes)
- Attends various board committee meetings including but not limited to the veterinary committee.
- Schedules sharps container, Weiler Welding O2, etc. as related to veterinary clinic needs.
- Trains, encourages, motivates and provides positive guidance to volunteers for the Humane Society of Greater Dayton.
- Represents the Humane Society as a professional.
- Decision making regarding animal medical care in the absence of the veterinarian.
- May be called upon to perform other HSGD tasks including but not limited to the following: picking up injured cats, cleaning cat or dog areas, cleaning areas of the building, data entry, mailing items, ordering items, taking animal pictures, describing animals, etc
MINIMUM EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Veterinary Technician (LVT or RVT), with a current state license
- Extensive knowledge of animals, proper care of animals, and diseases of dogs and cats
- Succinct communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to organize thoughts in a logical, clear and concise manner
- Ability to use animal related equipment, such as snares, poles, nets, traps, needles, syringes, microscope, autoclave, anesthesia machine and ultrasonic instrument cleaner
- Familiarity with medical techniques, including, but not limited to: taking blood, fecal floatation, basic stains, administering medication (oral and percutaneous), placement of IV catheters/endotracheal tubes, and basic CPR
- Basic calculations such as: proper dosage of a medication per lb and kg and basic dilution/concentration calculations
- Euthanasia certification
- Attention to detail
- Immense interest and dedication to animal welfare, compassion and a sense of responsibility to ownerless and neglected/abused animals
- Results oriented, self-motivated, driven and decisive (including the ability to make recommendations)
- Effective time management and planning skills
- Ability to absorb information quickly and perform duties in a timely and accurate fashion
- Ability to shift attention quickly and accurately from one matter to another
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and respond/interact effectively and diplomatically to multiple customers (internal and external)
- Ability to interact effectively and efficiently with management and other staff and function as part of a team
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Work related stress is occasional
- Position hours would be Tuesday through Friday from 10am to 6pm and Saturdays 8am to 4pm